Slip and Fall Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
Strong representation when you are hurt in a slip and fall accident
One moment you can be walking along confidently and in the next moment, you can be on the ground with a potentially life-changing injury. Properties and businesses have a duty to protect visitors from unsafe areas and potential hazards. If they are found to be negligent or fail in this duty, they should be held accountable.
After a slip and fall injury, you need a personal injury attorney who knows what you are going through and what needs to be accomplished in order to recover everything you’ve lost. The Hayden Law Firm has the experience and knowledge to get things done. Contact us today for a free and no-risk consultation. We serve the greater St. Louis area and Illinois.
What are slip and falls?
Slip and fall accidents are quite common, with thousands of St. Louis residents suffering injuries at restaurants, grocery stores, malls, hotels, and other businesses every year. Under Missouri premises liability law, owners of these types of establishments should exercise reasonable care when guests are visiting their property. This means that they must:
- Maintain clean, safe, and hazard-free environments
- Warn guests of potential hazards on the property
This includes a list of things to do in order to prevent slip and fall accidents. Businesses and stores must do things like:
- Provide caution signs around recently mopped and/or waxed floors
- Repair uneven carpeting and loose floorboards
- Remove debris from aisles and walkways
- Patch up potholes in sidewalks and parking lots
- Install guardrails and safety fences where necessary
If a business fails to do any of these tasks and you’re injured as a result, the property owner or manager can be held liable for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
What causes slip and fall accidents?
The most common cause of slip and fall accidents is negligence. Here are some common examples of how negligence or carelessness on the part of a property owner can cause a slip and fall injury:
- Exposed wires, cables, and other electrical equipment
- Failure to clean up messes or debris in a timely fashion
- General lack of safety signs and warnings
- Improperly stored equipment or tools
- Inadequate handrail installation
- Loose floorboards
- Ramps or stairs falling apart due to lack of maintenance
- Recently washed and wet flooring
- Slick outdoor walkways covered in water, ice, or sand
- Slippery or greasy indoor flooring
- Stairs installed improperly or unevenly
- Uneven carpeting
Any type of unsafe premises can cause a serious injury when a visitor or passerby is not warned of the hazard.
What are common injuries from a slip and fall accident?
Slip and falls are typically played to humorous effect on television or in the movies, but they can actually cause very serious injuries. Some of these injuries can result in long-term or permanent disability. Injuries from slip and fall incidents can include:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Damaged tissue or internal organs
- Knee sprains, strains, or tears
- Neck, back, and shoulder damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Wrongful death
Even if you believe your injury is minor, you should always get checked out by a doctor after any type of accident. Some injuries may not cause physical symptoms until a day or two later, so it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible. The statute of limitations to bring an injury action for a slip and fall case in Missouri is five years.
Who is liable in a slip and fall accident?
Hayden Law Firm founder Amanda Hayden only takes cases she believes she will win, and that means knowing who is liable for your injuries and then holding them responsible. Generally in a premises liability case, one of the following scenarios should be true:
- The owner or an employee caused the hazardous situation
- The owner or employee was aware of the hazard but did nothing about it
- The owner or employee should have known of the hazard, as a reasonable person would have discovered the hazard during regular property inspection and repaired or provided signage
What is comparative negligence law in MO?
In a slip and fall injury action, the property owner or their insurance company will likely argue that your injuries were your own fault. Under comparative negligence law in Missouri, if the court finds a victim partially responsible for their injuries, their compensation is reduced according to the percentage of their responsibility. This is why it is imperative to work with an attorney who will not settle for anything less than the full amount of compensation to which you are entitled.
How much is my slip and fall case worth?
Working with The Hayden Law Firm can help ensure you recover the proper amount of compensation for your losses. We hold the right people or entities responsible for your injuries and work to secure compensation for damages that include:
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Past, present, and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental or emotional distress
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Property damage
- Rehabilitation and therapy expenses
The specific amount depends on your individual situation, the extent of your injuries, and how those losses have affected, and continue to affect, your life. Under Missouri’s statute of limitations, you need to file a slip and fall injury claim within five years of the date of the accident, so do not delay contacting The Hayden Law Firm now.
How can a St. Louis slip and fall attorney help?
Slip and fall accidents can happen at any size business, both large and small. When you are up against a big business, they often employ the help of an even bigger insurance company that will take advantage of you during this vulnerable time. For instance, they may try to get you to settle for a low-ball offer, try to collect an incriminating statement to use against you, or overall bully you throughout the process.
At The Hayden Law Firm, you get an attorney with 15 years of experience at the negotiation table. Amanda Hayden combines her business experience with vast personal injury law knowledge to bring a strategic edge to the toughest legal battles.
We get you the results you need when you need them most.
Handling slip and fall injuries in MO and IL
If you or a loved one were hurt in a slip and fall, or any other type of accident, on another’s property, The Hayden Law Firm can help. We work to secure just and fair compensation when you’re harmed by someone else’s negligence. Please call our offices at 314-480-3100 or fill out our contact form for a free, no-risk consultation. We proudly serve clients in St. Louis, and throughout Missouri and Illinois.