St. Louis Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Tough representation for MO and IL pedestrians injured in collisions and accidents
It’s an unfortunate truth that whenever a pedestrian is hit by a vehicle, no matter what kind, the pedestrian is going to come out on the losing end. Their injuries will almost certainly be worse, if not fatal, and the majority of pedestrian collisions are due to driver error. Pedestrian accidents are all too common in cities like St. Louis, and victims need experienced attorneys on their side.
If you or a loved one were struck and injured by a car, truck, or motorcycle, talk to a St. Louis pedestrian accident attorney at The Hayden Law Firm. We work to ensure the at-fault driver is held accountable and seek proper compensation on your behalf, so you are able to pay for your medical bills and time lost from work. Contact us today for a free, no-risk consultation. We serve the greater St. Louis area and Illinois.
What are the rights of pedestrians in Missouri?
Car, truck, and motorcycle drivers must always exercise the highest duty of care when crossing paths with a pedestrian — not just for the sake of following Missouri’s traffic laws, but simply for the safety of unprotected pedestrians. Missouri has several statutes regarding pedestrians, including that drivers should:
- Yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian in a marked or unmarked crosswalk
- Slow down or stop at a crosswalk to check for approaching pedestrians
- Reduce speed in pedestrian-populated areas
- Be alert to pedestrians while making right-hand turns
- Yield the right-of-way to persons who are vision-impaired and/or using a service animal
- Remain stopped at stop signs and allow any pedestrians to cross the roadway in front of the car
- Keep clear of the crosswalk when stopped at a traffic signal or stop sign so that pedestrians can cross safely
- Generally do their best to remain alert and avoid endangering pedestrians
However, crosswalk and pedestrian safety works both ways. Pedestrians are also required by law to exercise reasonable care when walking on public streets, such as not crossing roadways in undesignated areas or when a “Don’t Walk” signal is on.
Keep in mind that these accidents are not always black and white. Whether or not a pedestrian was committing a traffic violation, the driver who hit them may still hold fault and should be held liable. A St. Louis injury attorney can help safeguard your rights and determine the proper amount of compensation to which you may be entitled.
WE GET RESULTS
What types of cases does a St. Louis pedestrian accident attorney handle?
Without the protection and safety that is available to those inside a car or truck, pedestrians are in a vulnerable position every day. Injuries resulting from a pedestrian-vehicle collision are often catastrophic in nature, including spine and neck, traumatic brain injuries, and the like.
The most common cases we take on include:
- Bad weather accidents. Occur when bad weather (such as ice or rain) makes conditions treacherous and the driver does not take necessary safety precautions (such as adjusting speed or turning on wipers) to avoid hitting a pedestrian.
- Crosswalk accidents. Occur when a pedestrian is legally in a crosswalk and a driver fails to yield or give them the right-of-way.
- Distracted driving accidents. Occur when a driver is distracted in some way (such as texting and driving) and is not paying attention when a pedestrian is crossing the road.
- Drunk driving accidents. Occur when a driver is impaired by either alcohol or drugs, driving erratically and less likely to be alert for pedestrians.
- Hit and run accidents. Occur when a pedestrian has been struck and the responsible driver does not remain at the scene, or flees the scene.
- Loss of control accidents. Occur when a driver has lost control of their vehicle (often the steering or gas pedal) and may run up on the sidewalk, hitting a pedestrian.
- Parking lot accidents. Occur most often when a parking lot is busy; inattentive drivers may pull into or back out of a parking space and strike a pedestrian.
Pedestrian accidents can happen anywhere, anytime, and for any reason. When this happens, you need someone on your side who will not only act fast, but will handle your case with both compassion and strategy. If you have suffered an injury from a negligent driver, an experienced St. Louis attorney can help you seek compensation for your damages and losses.
What are common injuries from pedestrian accidents?
Pedestrian accident injuries tend to be more severe than injuries from other accidents. Common injuries include:
- Soft tissue damage. This encompasses a wide variety of injuries, including strains, sprains, muscle tears, and dislocations. Although it may take less time to recover from a soft tissue injury compared to something like a spinal cord injury, these can still cause severe pain and result in long-term physical issues.
- Fractured and broken bones. Pedestrians often suffer broken bones when struck by vehicles, usually by the vehicle itself or by falling to the ground. Victims can experience fractured or broken hands, wrists, arms, shoulders and backs, or legs. Severe breaks, like compound or open breaks can occur, which are extremely painful and typically require surgery.
- Traumatic brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries, or TBI, are also common among pedestrian accidents, happening when a victim strikes their head as a result of the collision. TBIs can range from a mild concussion to life-altering, leaving a victim with chronic pain, as well as emotional and cognitive problems.
- Spinal cord injury. An injury to the spinal cord can leave an individual paralyzed and unable to walk without assistance. Depending on the severity of the injury, a victim may need lifelong medical care and other help with daily life.
- Wrongful death. In some tragic situations, a pedestrian does not survive the accident. A St. Louis wrongful death attorney can help that person’s loved ones file a claim against the responsible party. Wrongful death damages can include compensation for funeral and burial expenses, medical bills, and loss of future income.
At The Hayden Law Firm, we understand how to calculate the extent of your injuries to ensure you secure the proper amount of compensation to which you are entitled. Talk to our offices today to determine the strength of your case.
What is my pedestrian accident case worth?
Every case and every person is unique, but with The Hayden Law Firm in your corner, you can rest assured that you will have top-notch representation. Our victories and testimonials speak for themselves, but we invite you to contact us for a consultation.
When we take your case, we work to hold the negligent party accountable for your losses, including:
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Past, present, and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental or emotional distress
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Property damage
- Rehabilitation and therapy expenses
Under Missouri’s statute of limitations, however, you must file your injury claim within five years of the date of the accident, so do not delay in exploring your legal options.
How can a St. Louis pedestrian accident attorney help with my case?
Establishing who is liable in a pedestrian accident may seem simple — after all, one human is no match for a two-ton car. Even when a pedestrian accident is caused by driver recklessness or negligence, insurance companies tend to do everything they can to place blame on the victim. They may accuse you of disobeying traffic laws and being at fault for the accident in an effort to get out of paying you a fair amount for your injuries. The Hayden Law Firm is aware of these tactics and can successfully protect your rights in disputes with insurance companies.
When The Hayden Law Firm gets involved, we investigate all circumstances surrounding your case, including gathering police reports, conducting witness interviews, obtaining street footage from nearby businesses, and more. Our job is to prove that you were not at fault for your injuries and that you are owed compensation.
We get you the results you need when you need them most.
Contact a St. Louis pedestrian accident attorney
At The Hayden Law Firm, we are dedicated to your recovery – both physically and financially. When you or a loved one are injured as a pedestrian, we protect your right to fair and just compensation for your damages and losses. Please call our offices at 314-480-3100 or fill out our contact form for a free, no-risk consultation. We are based in St. Louis, Missouri, but our firm proudly serves clients throughout Missouri and Illinois.