Hit and Run Accident Attorney in St. Louis, MO
Legal advocacy when the at-fault driver flees the scene of the crash in MO and IL
A hit and run crash can happen in the blink of an eye, leaving you injured, wondering what happened, with the negligent driver nowhere to be found. It may feel like you have no recourse, but an experienced hit and run accident attorney can help you put the pieces together and secure compensation for your losses.
If you or a loved one have suffered injury and damages from a hit and run, The Hayden Law Firm can help seek compensation for those losses, while you take the time to recover. We understand how these types of cases work, and provide you the stress-free environment you need to heal from your injuries while take care of the legal issues. Contact us today for a free, no-risk consultation. We serve the greater St. Louis area and Illinois.
What exactly is a hit and run accident?
All drivers across Missouri and the United States are taught early on that if they are involved in an accident, they should remain at the scene. Drivers owe this duty of care to each other when on the road and, if a driver causes an accident, the law calls for all parties to exchange information.
Under Missouri state law, leaving the scene of an accident (also called a hit and run) entails:
- Being the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury, death, or damage to another person’s property, and
- Having this knowledge, leaving the site of this accident without providing the following information to the other party or to law enforcement:
- Their name
- Their address
- Their vehicle registration number
- Their driver’s license number
Drivers may flee the scene entirely for any number of reasons, from drunk driving to driving without a license or insurance. These actions are against the law and can be considered evidence of negligence.
WE GET RESULTS
What types of hit and run cases does your St. Louis law firm handle?
At The Hayden Law Firm, we see a wide range of hit and run accident causes, but the most common types of cases we handle include:
- Bicycle accidents
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Wrongful death
Regardless of whether you were in a vehicle, on a bicycle, or crossing the street at the time of the hit and run accident, an experienced personal injury attorney from The Hayden Law Firm can provide you with the highest standard of representation and personalized support throughout your claim.
What should I do after a Missouri hit and run accident?
After a hit and run, you may be feeling panicked, confused, and unsure of what to do in the days or weeks following. In these situations, gathering as much information as possible will be your best asset; meanwhile, any misstep you take could jeopardize your claim down the line. Following these steps can help you get the best results with your case.
- Call first responders if you or anyone else are hurt. Your number one priority is getting immediate help if there are any injuries.
- Call the police. We know that it can be frightening after the other person has fled and you are all alone after a collision. You might be eager to remove yourself from the situation, but we urge you to stay there until law enforcement arrives. They will be able to take an official report that will be valuable to your case.
- Record everything you can remember about the at-fault driver. Understandably, you were probably unable to take note of everything about the negligent driver before they left the scene. Try to do your best to write down from memory the make, model, and color of the car. Even just remembering the state on the license plate can be helpful.
- Take photographs of the scene. This will validate your version of events as well as help jog your memory. Take photographs of any injuries you sustained, your passengers’ injuries, your damaged vehicle, pictures of skid marks, debris, and roadway conditions.
- Get contact info of any witnesses. Ask other drivers or pedestrians if they witnessed the crash or saw anything that could help identify the driver, and request their names and contact information. Getting in touch with them afterwards might be necessary for your case if you need someone to give an account of the events.
- Report the incident to your insurance company. Remember, when reporting the events of your hit and run, do not Keep it factual, simple, and to-the-point. Depending on when you get a St. Louis personal injury lawyer involved, we may be able to represent you whenever speaking with the insurance company.
- Get medical care. Not only is this good for your physical health, but it can be invaluable to strengthening your claim. Try to get a long-term prognosis, which will project the kind of rehabilitation and ongoing medical treatment you’ll need. Ensure you follow your doctor’s treatment plan and save all of your documentation and receipts.
- Take the time you need to recover while we take care of the rest. Our experienced hit and run lawyer will handle all communication with your insurance, file the correct documents, and keep you informed of the whole process while you recover from your injuries.
How do I get compensated after a hit and run crash?
After a hit and run, the police may conduct an investigation, as it is a criminal act. In some fortunate cases, the police can recover evidence left at the scene, leading them to track down the at-fault driver. If law enforcement are unable to find out who caused the crash, however, this does not mean that you are out of options.
In these cases, you can seek assistance with your medical bills and lost wages by filing what is called an uninsured motorist claim. This works in the same way as if you were pursuing the other at-fault driver’s insurance company to cover damages. Speak with a St. Louis uninsured/underinsured motorist accident lawyer at The Hayden Law Firm to find out more and get started.
How can a St. Louis hit and run crash attorney help me?
A hit and run is unlike a normal car crash or pedestrian accident. Those types of cases are fairly straightforward in pursuing compensation from the negligent party’s insurance. However, when the at-fault party flees the scene and you must work with your own insurance company, navigating the process can be confusing and frustrating – an experienced attorney can ensure you don’t make uninformed decisions.
Not only will we help you in the initial filing of the first-party claim, but we stand by your side if the insurance company refuses to pay what is fair. The sooner you get The Hayden Law Firm involved, the sooner we can craft a compelling case on your behalf.
The way we go about doing this is gathering as much information as possible. We go to the scene of the crash and take pictures, conduct witness interviews, and more. Through the network that we’ve built over 15 years, we consult with the top medical professionals in St. Louis to assess your injuries and explain them in court, if needed, to bolster your case. We treat every client as if they are our only client.
We get you the results you need when you need them most.
Hit and run accident lawyer in St. Louis
Do not wait to file a hit and run claim. Gathering evidence is of utmost importance in these types of cases, and at The Hayden Law Firm, we want to give you the best possible chance for a successful outcome. Let us seek compensation for your injuries and losses. Please call our offices at 314-480-3100 or fill out our contact form for a free, no-risk consultation. We are based in St. Louis, Missouri, but our firm proudly serves clients throughout Missouri and Illinois.