Bed Bug Lawyer in Webster Groves,MO
Bed Bug lawyer in Webster Groves, MO. Lawyer Amanda Hayden understands that you expect to fall asleep without having to fear you will be bit by a bedbug. Contact a bed bug lawyer at The Hayden Law Firm or call (314) 480-3100 for a no-risk case evaluation. We take cases on a contingency basis which means you pay nothing up front, and that we will not collect a fee from you unless we win your case. We take bed bug bite cases from several sources, including:
- Hotels and motels
- Rental properties
- New, used, or rented furniture
- Nursing homes
- Childcare centers
- AirBnB rentals
- Recently purchased houses
About Bed Bugs
One of the most common pests in the world, bed bugs live and thrive in most environments, including in Webster Groves, MO. They are a few millimeters in length, brown in color, and shaped like an apple seed. Since they are so tiny, they can survive, undetected, in many parts of a house. A way to detect if bed bugs are in a room is by smell: they give off an odor similar to old, musty books or spoiled raspberries.
Common nesting spaces for bed bugs include:
- Between mattresses and box springs/platforms
- Behind furniture
- Underneath mattress covers
- Under chair cushions and inside upholstery
- Inside drawers
- Along wall baseboards
- Against ceilings, especially in corners
- Along picture frames
- Along door or window frames
- Along bed frames, especially where pieces are joined together
They are also known to hide inside suitcases and other luggage. It is typical for someone to go on a trip, stay in a room where bed bugs are present, and transport these bugs back to Webster Groves, MO, all not knowing they were doing so.
Bed bugs feed on human blood and are sensitive to light, which is why they prey on humans at night. Once they have bit a human, they return to what is called a “harborage area” where they signal to other bed bugs that there is a prime feeding spot nearby. This allows a colony to expand. Female bed bugs often lay between two to five eggs every day, and these eggs take around two weeks to hatch. They can easily live for weeks or even months before biting a host for food.
The Dangers of Bed Bug Bites
When a bed bug bites a human being, its affect can vary from person to person. Most people will only have maybe small bumps or marks from where the bed bug bit them. However, it is not uncommon for sizable welts similar to mosquito bites to form on the skin, which causes itching and discomfort. Extended bug bite cases can lead to asthma attacks and infections.
However, the longest-lasting effects of bed bug bites are not physical marks but rather emotional scars. It is common for people who have been bit by bed bugs to experience high anxiety and panic attacks. As bed bug bites often cause irritation, this can lead to an obsession with itching and scratching–which worsens the physical effects of bed bugs as increased itching leads to infection. In addition, the fear of being bit by blood-sucking parasites can easily lead to inability to fall asleep, which affects the whole body and mind.
While bed bugs are mostly just considered a pest by most, there is a growing body of research suggesting they can carry disease. A 2018 report from researchers at New Mexico State University showed that bed bugs are known to carry Chagas disease, which causes a life-long infection and kills more than 50,000 people each year.
Who Is Liable For Bug Bites?
In both Missouri and Illinois, there are no specific laws outlining responsibility for a bed bug infestation in a dwelling or hotel room. However, both states do recognize an important precedent known as the implied warranty of habitability. Under this court precedent, people who buy or rent a property in Webster Groves, MO are not responsible for its condition. It is the responsibility of the landlord or property manager to maintain a property that is “habitable and fit for living” when someone moves in to a new house or apartment, or agrees to rent a hotel room for any number of nights.
Your Webster Groves, MO bed bug lawyer should be well-versed in cases involving premises liability and personal injury. We strive to get every key detail about your case and target who is responsible. If you have any questions about your Webster Groves, MO bed bug case, call The Hayden Law Firm at (314) 480-3100 for a no-risk case evaluation.
What To Do If You’ve Been Bit By Bed Bugs In Webster Groves, MO
Discovering the bed where you sleep every night, or the room in which you live in, is infested by bed bugs can certainly be a traumatic experience. But before you talk to an experienced bed bug lawyer, we recommend you take the following steps:
- Take pictures of your injuries and surroundings. Get shots of the extent of your bite marks, where they were on your body, and other important details. Be sure to note the exact places where you found bed bugs in your apartment or hotel room, and document the dates and times you found bugs or injuries.
- Get in touch with higher authorities. If you were bit by bed bugs in a hotel, contact management: otherwise, contact your landlord or real-estate agent. If you found bed bugs in new furniture, contact the store you purchased the items at or the company that made them. Try and communicate in a method you can easily save and track, such as letters. Always keep copies of all correspondence.
- Track your damaged property. Since everything infested with bed bugs will need to be thrown away, note everything that you found bed bugs in. These can include mattresses, suitcases, furniture, and bed linens. If you have saved receipts from when you originally purchased these possessions, keep them in a safe place: this is important to recover the exact value of the property you lost due to a bed bug infestation.
- Note any pain and suffering. Keep all medical records if those are required, and even receipts for medicines you used to treat your bed bug bites. If you had to miss work or forgo hobbies to deal with bed bugs, note the hours missed. Finally, be sure to note if you had any psychological effects from the infestation, like trouble sleeping or abnormal fears.
Our bed bug lawyer in Webster Groves, MO proudly offers client-focused legal services to bed bug victims. We want you to feel confident and valued, and confident that you’ll have someone fighting for you to take on irresponsible landlords, negligent hotel companies, and big insurance firms.
Contact a Bug Bite Lawyer Lawyer in Webster Groves, MO
In both Missouri and Illinois, cases involving bed bug bites are viewed as personal injury cases. As such, having a veteran personal injury lawyer in Webster Groves, MO to fight for your rights is important to getting the settlement you deserve.
Attorney Amanda Hayden at The Hayden Law Firm knows how to gain the maximum financial settlements and court awards that her clients are entitled to. She combines her expertise in business negotiation with extensive practice in personal injury law in order to get the results that others may ignore. This experience has proven key in a wide range of cases over the years, and will continue with whatever type of case you personally face.
Our team knows that every case we get is unique, and as such we take time to get to know all our clients. We give every case the highest level of personal attention because we want our clients to feel confident that they have a lawyer who will fight for every dollar they deserve. Telephone a bed bug lawyer in Webster Groves, MO, at (314) 480-3100 or contact us for a no-obligation case review.
The Hayden Law Firm can also assist with cases in these areas:[wdac-expansion-similar-links]